How to raise spiritually mature children (Part 1):
- Set high expectations on conduct, character and holiness. It is not unrealistic. Children raised this way want to behave. It creates a peaceful environment of them to live in and thrive.
- Talk to them about real life situations and how to deal with people based on God’s Word, not the world’s standards. Teach them that even if they don’t agree with someone, they can learn to get along with them. Teach them to forgive each other and forgive themselves.
- Expose them to many different things, but not immoral things. Guard their eyes, hearts, and minds. It’s okay if they don’t know all about the front page news. It’s ok if they don’t watch bad shows and movies. It’s okay that they only listen to music with pure lyrics. It’s okay to be different from the world. In fact, God expects it from his children!
- Teach them to have self-control from an early age. When they are Christians, teach them that control comes from the help of God’s Spirit within them. When they mess up, teach them to confess wrong, ask forgiveness and move on. Don’t dwell on it, but strive to do better.
- Discipline them when needed, but always in love. There is no love in failing to discipline.
"He that spareth his rod hateth his son:
but he that loveth him chaseneth him betimes."