Search This Blog

Friday, October 6, 2017

Family Friday: Teach It and Preach It




Teach It and Preach It

          Our family serves together in our church bus ministry, along with a few other ministries.  We are faithful to all church services, gatherings, special functions, etc.  Sometimes my children joke about needing to put a bed in my husband’s office because we seem to live there.  All of the closeness and time given to church and church family can make me feel as if my children should just naturally “catch” a Christ-like spirit and a walk with God.  This is so far from the truth!
          Every right behavior must be taught and demonstrated.  Many people do learn by watching other’s examples, but they also need instruction.  My children may be surrounded by a Christian atmosphere, but that does not guarantee that they will have a relationship with God.  First of all, I must make sure of their salvation; church kids can be very good at faking Christianity!  I must take the time to teach them God’s Word and how to  study it, then check up on them to make sure they are reading and studying it.  I need to teach them how to pray, then pray with them often and point out the answered prayers.  When I notice attitude problems, I should take the time to talk about it and perhaps deal with it before it becomes a bigger problem.
          Expecting my children to learn by osmosis how to live like Christ is foolishness.  It takes a combination of teaching and demonstrating.  Rearing Godly children is a very difficult, time-consuming task God has given to us.  This task takes much prayer, consistency, and a walk with God.  Teach it, then live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment