Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2016

Monday's Message: Hope




Most often, when we read the word hope in the word of God; it does not have the same meaning of how we commonly use the word hope today in our conversation.  For example, when we say: “I hope I get an A, or I hope it doesn’t rain”, etc.
The Bible word hope is actually stronger than faith, of believe.  The word hope is used in Titus 2:13  Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;”
The next prophetical event on God’s calendar is the coming of Jesus Christ; or more properly: our going to meet Him in the air.  And as the scripture teaches us, it is that blessed hope. It is with a confident expectation we look for the appearing of our Saviour.
This is the very same word Paul uses in his writing to the church at Corinth, in II Corinthians 1:7 “And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation.” It is the very same word for hope.  This he speaks to them after teaching them and trying to console them concerning their personal sufferings.  He speaks to them with the hope of their steadfastness, even after going through some troublesome times, and heart aches.
He is saying to them ”I know you’ve had some tough times, I know some things have happened… but I also know, not only that you will be partakers of God’s great consolation, but also, I have confidence in you, and in your steadfastness, that you’re not going to faint.”
This is a great testimony of the relatively young Christians of the church at Corinth, that Paul would have such confidence in their character.
Oh, that the dear Lord Jesus knows this of me.  That if and when I go through some very tough times, He has confidence in me, knowing me and my character better than I know myself.
This is very similar to what God used Paul to write to the church at Phillipi in Philippians 2: 12a  Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence,”
How important is it for us to have a good testimony with other Believers?

No comments:

Post a Comment