Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Thoughtful Thursday: Wonderfully Made




I am writing this from a woman’s perspective, but I believe it is a truth that can apply to all.

I have struggled with self-confidence and body image for most of my life. I have put a lot of weight into how I perceive that others see me. I have (mostly) placed my self-worth in their opinion of me. Their love and acceptance or lack thereof, have determined my love and acceptance of myself a lot of times. I know it’s wrong and I have tried to take some measures to improve my self-confidence, but I still struggle.

Recently, I have been holding on to the truth of Psalms 139:14 “I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made:” I love how the psalmist points out that he was “wonderfully” made.  The design of the human body is a wonder that even the greatest of minds have had a hard time understanding. God’s design is extraordinary, intricate and complete. He pays attention to detail and makes no mistakes. Yet, in our weakness, we think that this same Creator, who takes the time to design us each individually, would somehow make us flawed and lacking.

So, to say that he was “wonderfully” made, was the psalmist boasting himself of perfection?

  No.  None of us are perfect in the sense that our flesh fails us daily.  But he recognized that God made him exactly how He wanted him, and he praised Him for that.  Isn’t that convicting?  Realizing that each time we critique and criticize ourselves, we are critiquing and criticizing God’s creation.  His perfect creation. 

When I think of it this way, I am reminded that I should place my self-worth in how God sees me, and not others. 

I should love myself, because He loves me.  John 3:16 “For God so loved the world… 

I should be confident, because He gives me the ability. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ… 

I should accept who I am, because He accepts me.  And He makes no mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment