Search This Blog

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Thoughtful Thursday: Lovingkindness





Psalm 143:8Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

Yes, you read it right, but read it again, just in case you missed it.
“Cause me to HEAR thy lovingkindness in the morning;”

Now when things just do not make any sense to me, I tend to get a little frustrated.  When I read this, I started to think “But, this verse was simply written wrong.  I had found the first mistake in the Bible.  Wow, I will go down in history or something!”

Face it folks, how can we hear  lovingkindness, especially in the morning?
I can understand seeing lovingkindness: 
*Neighbors waving as you head to work
*Smiles from co-workers
*Children playing on the swings
*Trees big, beautiful and green

All these things we see:  these are examples of seeing lovingkindness in the morning.  

BUT:  that's not what the verse says:

Psalm 143:8Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

Cause me to HEAR thy lovingkindness in the morning...
Think about it....how can you hear lovingkindness?
What must we do to hear lovingkindness?

Psalm 46:10Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Now this is where the rubber meets the road.  God tells us to "Be still".  I don't know about you but I cannot sit still.  I don’t go to movies because I get antsy and need to get up and stretch.
My husband would never take me hunting because he knew I could never sit still long enough.

But here, God is telling us to "Be still". 
What does being still have to do with hearing lovingkindness?  When we are still, what kicks in? 
Our HEARING.  Close your eyes--and listen.
What do you hear? 
Children laughing; dogs barking; birds singing?
What do you hear?
Lovingkindness

Psalm 143:8Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment