Building Your Christian Engine
Text: II Corinthians 6:6-7
I don’t know too much about engines. In fact, I am the last person anyone would want working on their vehicle, but I have a little bit of an idea about their basic function. For example: if there is no transmission you are not leaving the driveway! In an engine there are several key parts that must function properly, and these parts must have the right fluids in them in order to even start, much less, run down the road. You know, just like an engine, there are parts that when assembled properly and lubricated and fueled will function together to perform a designated task in the life of every child of God.
Pureness - free from anything of a different, inferior, or contaminating kind
Pure doctrine, pure living, and pure thinking should be noted as vital.
- Rather than attempting to do as much as we can to please ourselves and still resemble Christians; we should be striving to life in pureness.
- God is showing us that if we are going to lead others in this Christian life, our dedication and Christianity must go to a higher level
Knowledge – A clear and certain perception of that which exists, or of truth and fact; the perception of the connection and agreement, or disagreement and repugnancy of our ideas.
- We have all been guilty of operating on our “Christian opinions” far too much
- Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us to rely fully on God’s Word not our opinions
Longsuffering – Bearing injuries or provocation for a long time; patient; not easily provoked.
- This is a part of our “engine” that will require that “fresh oil” that comes only from the Spirit of God.
- Keep the proper perspective when dealing with people; It is not all about you or me.
Kindness - The quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.
- This is a Bible command.
- This is also becoming more and more rare.
- It requires us to trust God!
- Often times we will feel as if others will look on us as weak, but if we’ll trust God, He will work for us and bless the efforts.
Holy Ghost – I find it odd that He is not first on this list. It is as if we are examining an engine and we just made it to the core part of that engine!
- We must be the conduits of Christ.
- We must realize that we are nothing without Him!
Love unfeigned – In a general sense to be pleased with; to regard with affection, on account of some qualities which excite pleasing sensations or desire of gratification.
- We DO NOT possess the ability to offer this kind of unconditional love to others without the power of the Holy Spirit working in us and through us.
- Here we find that the power and presence of the Holy Ghost is absolutely vital to the task God has set before us!
Word of Truth – The Scriptures
- The answers we are called to give concerning faith must begin with: “The Bible says…”
- It is God’s Word that is quick and powerful!
Power of God – Realize that this is the fuel in our engines. We will be worthless and become a “Large paper weight” without His fuel in our engines!
- His ability is unlimited, yet because we try to cut corners and leave off parts of this list we know to be necessary we will eliminate His power.
Armour of Righteousness – realize that Satan will NOT sit by and witness this miraculous transformation in our lives, but will send a barrage of attacks and set as many traps as he possibly can to destroy us or at least limit us in this endeavor!
How well is your engine maintained?
II Corinthians 6:6-7
By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,