Text: Galatians 5:19-21
“Walk in the Spirit” HOW?
- FULLY SURRENDER TO GOD and HIS WILL AND HIS WORD
- DAILY Bible STUDY (2 Timothy 3:16)
- Have a Fervent PRAYER LIFE (Acts 4:31)
- Listen to Godly MUSIC (Ephesians 5:18-19)
- Be FAITHFUL in your CHURCH ATTENDANCE (Hebrews 10:25; Titus 1:3)
“Now the works of the flesh are manifest“
- “Adultery“ – marital relations with anyone but your spouse
· Psychological, internet, lust, etc. (not just “cheating”)
- “Fornication“ – intimate physical relations before marriage
- “uncleanness “ – lewdness, moral impurity, lacking temperance
· Dirty jokes, vulgar tongues, (hating God’s boundaries for sin)
- “lasciviousness“ - Looseness; irregular indulgence of animal desires; lustfulness. Tendency to excite lust, and promote irregular indulgences.
· Homosexuality, bestiality, pedophilia
- “Idolatry“ – worshipping anything in place of God
- “witchcraft“ – satanic practices… manipulating or emulating Satan
- “hatred“ – to experience joy at the thought of another’s demise
- “variance“ – living contrary to Truth; hypocrisy
- “emulations“ - a striving to equal or do more than others to obtain carnal favors or honors.
· Living a certain way to gain the praise of others for yourself
- “wrath“ – the untempered premeditated acts of anger
- “strife“ - Exertion or contention for superiority; contest of emulation
- “seditions“ – divisions
· Allowing relationships to remain torn without an attempt to repair
- “heresies“ – intentional belief or promotion of false doctrines
· Knowing something is false, but believing it or telling others to believe it out of convenience
- “Envyings“ - Uneasy distressing tortures of the mind, grieving at the good of others
- “Murders“ – taking innocent life
- “Drunkenness“ – placing yourself under the control of a foreign substance
- “Revellings“ – non-stop partying; living for the opportunity to over-indulge in anything that makes the sensations of the flesh gratified.
- “and such like:” – even if it wasn’t mentioned… YOU KNOW!
“of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past,”
I Corinthians 6:9-10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
I Corinthians 15:50, Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
[inherit]: The heir inherits the lands or real estate of his father; the eldest son of the nobleman inherits his father's title, and the eldest son of a king inherits the crown.
5:21 “that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”
- Christ alone is worthy of this inheritance
· You and I deserve hell and always will
· Because of our salvation by faith through Christ, we will share in HIS inheritance
Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
- WE CANNOT BE JUSTIFIED BY WORKS OF ANY KIND!!
5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
“This I say then” – based on the previous point
5:13-15 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
- After salvation both the flesh and the Spirit are alive and active in the life of every believer.
· You can’t just do what feels right
· We must submit to Christ and follow Him
· We must act on Scripture – not comparison or comfort
5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
“led of the Spirit”
- If I am being led of the Spirit in the life that I live, that is a clear indicator that I have accepted Christ as my Saviour and experienced and benefitted from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit
· That would make me born again!
- Is not following the Spirit as sin?
· Yes it is
· However, because I am not under the law but under grace, I will be given the inheritance that Christ has earned and shared with me in spite of my sinful behavior
5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
- This is the key teaching of this entire passage
- God has given us the liberty to CHOOSE!
· Without this choice we would be lost or robots
· Neither capable of meeting the purpose for which man was created
§ To glorify, love, and fellowship with God!