Search This Blog

Friday, August 4, 2017

Family Friday: Am I Mericful?




Recently my children and I were out doing some errands and church visitation, when my youngest child began having an attitude problem, which then turned into a behavior problem.   After several warnings and stern reminders, I told him he would be getting a correction at home.   Of course, he asked could he please have a second chance!   I told him that mercy is given when a person is sorry for his sin and tries to stop doing that sin. With tears in his eyes, he said he would be sorry for his sin and asked me for forgiveness.   Hugs were exchanged, the attitude and behavior straightened out, and the atmosphere was peaceful once again. 
The situation made me begin pondering God's mercy to me. I don't ever truly deserve His mercy, but He gives it when I ask and repent of my sin.  What a great and awesome God!  How often am I guilty of judging and punishing my children, when what I should have given was mercy?  I learned the following song as a child, but its message is timeless:  God's mercy reaches past my sin.


There's a wideness in God's mercy
Like the wideness of the sea.
There is a kindness in His justice
Which is more than liberty!

No comments:

Post a Comment