Search This Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Thoughtful Thursday: My Testimony - Melissa




What does today mean to you?  Is it just another day?  For most of you, it probably is.  Can I share with you what today means to me?  Before I do that though, I would like to tell you a little more about myself for those who may not know me. 

I grew up in a Christian home.  My parents were saved when I was a toddler and immediately got involved in church.  I made a profession of faith at age 4.  Not long after that, my dad went to Bible College and became a preacher.  Growing up, my dad was the assistant pastor of our church.  We went to church 3 times a week and were involved in several ministries.  I never knew anything but church.  I also attended small Christian schools from K5-12th grade, never attending even one day of public school.  All of my friends were either from church or school.  I lived in a “bubble” and was quite sheltered, but it was a great life. 

At the age of 18, the demise of my sheltered Christian life began.  It took about 2 years and a traumatic family event to get me completely out of church.  I got married, had a baby, got divorced and lived utterly miserable in the world for 10 years.  I resisted every attempt of God to pull me back to Him.

In April 2011, God grabbed a hold of my heart once again, but this time I did not have the strength to fight Him.  I had fallen so far down, but not too far for Him to reach.  He pulled me out of a deep depression and alcoholism.  I have been sober since April 22, 2011.

So, what’s so special about today, you ask?  Well, on July 30th of 2011, while at a ladies prayer meeting, I got assurance of my salvation and know without a doubt that I am on my way to Heaven.  I don’t remember what I said and did as a child when I made that profession of faith, but this moment I will never forget.  (Actually, the specific place, where this life changing moment happened, is now my office.  How awesome is that?!)

God lead me to this great church, with a great pastor and staff.  Most of my family attends this church.  I met my husband at this church, got engaged to him here and then married him here.  We are happily married with our 2 wonderful children.  I now teach at our Christian school, where I attended and graduated from.  Life truly is great now!
I am so very thankful to serve a God of not just a “second chance”, but a God of “another chance”!!   


No comments:

Post a Comment