Search This Blog

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Thoughtful Thursday: To Love or To Please?




We must not confuse the command to love with the disease to please.

John 15:17 “These things I command you, that ye love one another.”

Yep, that’s right…it’s a command.  Love one another.   This is not the easiest thing to do sometimes; especially, when the person is seemingly “unlovable”.  I’ve mentioned this before, but I will again…God would never command us to do something that we are not capable of.   In an effort to show love to others, we can get caught up in trying to make them happy no matter what.  Galatians 1:10 says “For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. “.   We need to recognize the difference in pleasing them to make them happy and loving them in a true Biblical way.  Loving someone in a Biblical way could sometimes require “tough love”.  This, of course, isn’t always popular.
Paul says in II Corinthians 12:15 “And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved.”

Rather than concerning ourselves with trying to please others, we should make sure that our concern is pleasing God and teaching others to please him also. 
1Thessalonians 4:1 says “Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.”





No comments:

Post a Comment