Search This Blog

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Thoughtful Thursday: Lion and Lamb

The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.”   John 1:29
I was getting ready the other morning and had my Bible app on my phone reading to me John chapter 1.   And when I heard what John said in this verse, it floored me.  I’ve read and heard the verse many times, but it caught my attention in a different way this time.  Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.”
Several times in Scripture, Jesus Christ is referred to as a Lamb.  But why a lamb?  A lamb is such a small, unassuming animal.  And I believe that you would agree with me that Who Jesus is and what Jesus did on the Cross for us, was anything but small. 
But then I remembered that the Bible also refers to Jesus using a different animal.
Revalation 5:5 “And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of
Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.”
Here, the Bible is referring to Jesus as the Lion Who will conquer.  A lion is anything but small and unassuming.  A lion is a large, confident animal.  He is commonly referred to as the “king of the jungle”. 
It is a concept that is hard to completely understand.  The Lord God of Heaven had to humble Himself as a lamb in order to be the sacrifice for the redemption of all the sins of mankind.  Then this same Lord God of Heaven will come back as the Lion to conquer and defeat all so that we, the redeemed, can live forever with Him in Heaven.
I read an article where I thought the author put it wonderfully by saying:
“Jesus is not merely a simple thing like a lion or like a lamb, but is a Lion-like Lamb and a Lamb-like Lion.  Therefore, He is admirable and excellent and worthy to take the scroll and open its seals and bring this world to an end for the glory of His name and the good of His ransomed people. And you can be among that number if you trust Him as your Lamb, and submit to Him as your Lion.”

No comments:

Post a Comment