Search This Blog

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Thoughtful Thursday: Faith vs Doubt




“I hope that he does, but I doubt that he will.”

I overheard someone say this the other day.  Because of the context of the statement, I was saddened to hear it, but then it got me thinking.  How many times do we say that about God?  Hoping that He does something, but doubting that He will actually do it.   
Okay, so we probably would never say it out loud, but we have thought it at least.  We may not even purposely think it.
This doubt is probably most evident when we pray for something.  Maybe not so much for the smaller things that we petition God for, those are easy to have faith for, but more regarding those larger, harder to imagine things.  These are the things that seem impossible or unattainable.
Faith is defined as complete trust or confidence in someone or something. 
Doubt is defined as a feeling of uncertainty or last of conviction.
Which one sounds easier? 
Doubt for sure.  It’s much easier to be uncertain of something. 
Faith requires complete confidence.  That’s much more difficult. 
Faith requires total belief and confidence, no room for doubt. 

In Matthew 21:21, it says “Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
He goes on in verse 22 saying “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

So how do we make our faith strong, leaving no place for doubt?
Romans 10:17 says “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

This past summer, I taught a class for our Vacation Bible School.  This was one of the verses we learned, so one of the days I had to illustrate the verse.  I started by putting a blindfold on one of the children, then put some headphones on him, then hooked the headphones to my phone and played music.  He could not hear or see me.  I then began to give him instruction.  Of course, not knowing that I was saying anything to him, he just stood there.  I told the children that this was the way we will live our lives, unless we take off our blinders, believe in God, then listen to His word.  The Bible is written to us as an instruction book and as a love letter.  I believe our faith is increased by us reading the Bible.  God has given us so many promises in His Word.  Reminding ourselves of those and remembering that He is perfect, will begin to push out any doubt and leave room for complete faith.

“Doubt your doubts, before you doubt your faith.” - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment