Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Teen Tuesday: It's All About the Preparation




Have you ever watched the quarterback at a football game and thought that looks so easy, I could do that?  Anyone who has ever watched a football game has seen the quarterback make a poor throw.  Hence, the classic quarterback insult:  “My grandmother can throw better than that!”  Yet, if you have ever played a sport and have had to make a split-second decision, you know that it is not as easy as it looks.  Many things in life are harder than they appear.  As a teenager I underestimated many things, especially concerning living life as an adult.  I did not see all of the preparation or training that gave my parents the tools to face life as an adult. 
                I remember when I finally got my permit.  I asked several times to drive the family car.  Driving a car didn’t seem that hard.  I had driven a go-kart before, so it couldn’t be that much more difficult, I thought.  I remember the first time I drove, I almost ran over some bushes planted by the side of the road.  My mother was sitting in the passenger’s seat, she yelled and reached over to correct the steering wheel.  I was not as prepared to drive as I first thought.  It was another week or two before I drove the car again, during this time I paid close attention to how my parents drove.  I watched how they turned, and how they straightened the wheel after completing a turn.  I paid attention to how quickly they accelerated, and how far away they were from a red light when they started braking.  I became a student who was willing to receive instruction.  The second time that I drove, I was much more cautious.  I took each turn slowly, and gave myself plenty of room to slow down.  I do not remember much of my second drive other than the fact that I was careful, and my mother told me that I did a good job. 
                There are many things in life that require a lot of preparation.  As a teenager, we do not see the preparation that goes into the many aspects of adult life.  We think our parents are holding us back from doing what we want to do.  How hard is it to pay bills and tell people what to do anyway?  What we do not realize is that we are not yet prepared for many of the things that an adult will face.  Our parents have been given the job of training and preparing us for life.  They teach us how to cut the grass and take out the trash, or how to cook a meal and clean the dishes.  There are many things that they must teach us to prepare us for life.  Just like the quarterback who prepares many hours for each game.  The quarterback will watch their opponent’s defense, and try to figure out the best way to score.  They will run drills with their receivers to make sure that the routes are matched to the quarterback’s throw.  They will run and condition their bodies to make sure that they are in top physical condition.  Many hours will be spent in preparation for a game that will last a couple hours.  How prepared are you to face life as an adult?  When someone tries to teach you something do you answer with “I know that already”?  Unfortunately, many teenagers are not teachable until they almost “run over the bushes.” 
Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”  Our parents have been commanded by God to prepare us for life.  Are we allowing our parents to train us for the biggest game on earth, the game of life?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment