Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

We Pray Wednesday: God is in Control




I remember that Sunday morning, August 29, 2005 as I watched the local news as Hurricane Katrina was bearing down on the Louisiana Coast, seemingly headed on a direct path to hit New Orleans.   At the time, I was watching a CAT 5 hurricane. I had already decided to stay and ride it out but now doubts crept into my mind, you better leave, this could be really bad!  So at the last minute I decided to head to Florida with my wife.  A quick meeting at the church with Pastor and one of the deacons, we prayed not only for our safety as we traveled at the last minute, but for our many church members who had already left days earlier.  We then headed our different ways to face the traffic nightmare.  Nineteen hours later we safely arrived in Newberry, Florida. God watched over us all the way to Florida. Our home in Marrero was spared any major damage from flooding and the hurricane.  Praise God!
I was reminded then Who controls everything, including the weather.  Jeremiah 10:13 says "When he uttereth his voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens, and he causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; he maketh lightnings with rain, and bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures."  I also knew in Hebrews 13:5b "for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.What a great promise from our Heavenly Father!  So when facing life’s storms (weather or personal) we can be sure, as born again believers, that God has promised us from His word that He will protect us and keep us safe when we call upon His name in prayer.  When storms come your way and they will, maybe God wants to see who is really praying and trusting in him!

No comments:

Post a Comment