Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2016

Monday's Message: Discourage the Encourager




One of the great benefits we have as a born again Believer is having the wonderful Holy Spirit of God (sometimes called the third Person of the Trinity) living in us.  Since the moment we got saved, we were indwelled by the Holy Spirit. (Rom. 8:9, Gal. 4:6)
Though the Holy Spirit serves many functions for the child of God, by His primary function is how He is described in John 14:26 “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things…”
Many times, I have personally experienced what the Holy Spirit does from within, with a comfort and closeness in times of heartache, loss, discouragement, and on and on.
But many times the Holy Spirit does this through another Believer; such as our spouse, a brother or sister in Christ, or our pastor.  With this being true; we are reminded of something in II Corinthians 2:1-3 “But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness.  For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me?  And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.
Let’s think about what God is telling us through the apostle Paul.  Again: “if I make you sorry, who then is he that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me?”    Paul is writing to some of the human agency the Holy Spirit used and uses to comfort him; and at the same time teaching us. If I make my comforter sorry, or sad, or bring him/her down with words of discomfort, or complaints, or such like; how in the world is he/she going to comfort me?
If you’re like me, sometimes you need lifting up; you need encouragement.  I am doing the other person, the very one I may rely upon to cheer me up; a grievous injury; as well as myself, if I discourage my encourager.
I Peter  5:7  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”
As the song says: I must tell Jesus all of my trials; I can not bear these burdens alone; In my distress He kindly will help me; He ever loves and cares for His own.
But I must not do this to the one or ones, that do not have the divine power and sustaining grace, to not be affected by my negative words; that I may need to comfort me. 
Let’s say it this way: I must not discourage my encourager.

No comments:

Post a Comment