Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2016

Family Friday: How deep is your love?




Written by: Mrs. Mary Frost
Assistant Pastor's Wife
Grandview Baptist Church
Beavercreek, OR

This past month, my Pastor along with other staff men, have preached a sermon series, "How deep is your love?".  They've used the verse from Mark, "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul,  and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength."  This series has really motivated me to ask myself, "How deep IS my love for God?" and even a step further, "Have I showed God how deep my love for Him really is?"
I was reminded of this thought again as I was home with my 3 year old son, Tyler.  T-man, as I lovingly refer to him, inherited his daddy's love for all sports.  There isn't a sports ball that T-man doesn't love.  Currently, he's really "into" the sport of basketball.  Not a day goes by that I don't hear him bouncing his basketball down the hall and shooting into the small hoop on his door. Without fail, Tyler will change into his basketball clothes (shorts and t-shirt) run to find me and ask me to watch his basketball game in which I am to sit on the side-line and cheer for him.  Of course, I eat up this time with him!  On one particular day, the usual occurred.  My son ran downstairs in his little red shorts and basketball t-shirt and told me that it was, in fact, time for his basketball game.  My first thought was, "I'm in the middle of something... I don't have time!" But none the less, I put down what I was working on and went to sit at my post to watch him play. 
 I have to tell you, I felt proud of myself... Proud that I made the right decision. I mean, what have I learned in all these parenting books? Kids spell LOVE as T-I-M-E! But as I sat there congratulating myself, I felt a pain in my heart as if God was saying, "I spell LOVE  the same way, Mary,  T-I-M-E"  
I was reminded of the familiar story in Luke 10 where we find  Martha busily serving Jesus and the other guests in her home while Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus.  If we could get a glimpse into the heart of each of these ladies, I honestly believe that both ladies thought they were showing Jesus their love for Him. Martha showed her love by serving,  and Mary showed her love by listening. None of us could blame Martha for her frustration at Mary, but notice  Jesus' perspective of the situation.  Jesus said of Mary that she  "hath chosen that good part..."  In my life, I can identify seasons where I lean toward being Martha, and others where I lean toward being Mary.  Yet I'm reminded by this story that my service for God cannot replace my time with God!  
So I must ask myself, "How much do I really sit at the feet of Jesus, or do I run past Him each day just to cross off my list that I've been" with" Him? Do I really listen to Him as much as I talk to Him about all my requests? There is a phrase I hear all the time in regards to personal time with God.  The phrase is, "It's not quantity, but quality." Do I spend quality time with God?   Do I give time to God to allow Him to talk to me, work on me, and mold me to be more like Him? 
I like what Jesus said at the end of the verse, "...which shall not be taken away from her." The blessings that Mary received that day by choosing to sit at the feet of Jesus were something that changed her life.  Jesus was able to impact her life in great ways because she chose to love Jesus with her time at His feet.  What blessing did God have waiting for you today when you met with Him? He loves to love on you when you choose to love Him with your time at His feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment