Search This Blog

Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday's Message: It's Not for Everyone

It's Not for Everyone:
Paul uses an interesting statement in verse six, “I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.”  He was sharing his own experience about marriage and its necessity with those in Corinth.  The apostle no doubt had answered the question many times, “Where is your wife?” or “Are you married?”  Paul had found the companionship and the fellowship, that most associate with marriage, in his ministry for Christ.  He made it clear that celibacy is not for everyone.  If a person had been widowed and wished to enter another physical relationship, that would be fitting and proper.  As the apostle put it, “For it is better to marry than to burn.”

I fear that many have allowed their relationship with their spouse to replace or hinder their relationship with God.  Many who are in search of a mate will ignore the peace, contentment, and joy that Christ offers, and convince themselves that those things for which they search can only be found and fulfilled in them through marriage.  The Lord tells us that marriage is a gift and it is necessary, but our relationship with God should not be thought of as second to our relationship with our spouses.  You and I cannot be the spouse that we should be if we are not placing the Lord in His proper place in our lives.

I Corinthians 7:6-9:
6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. 
7  For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. 
8  I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. 
9  But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment