Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2015

Monday's Message: Charity Checkup




It's silence when your words would hurt, 
It's patience when your neighbors blurt,
 
It's deafness when the scandal flows,
 
And blindness for another's woes;
 
It's promptness when stern duty calls
 
And courage when misfortune falls.
-          Author unknown

A quite pretentious lady was walking down the street, when a bum pleaded with her for a meager bit of food or a coin or two.  She said, “Here is a nickel, not because you deserve it, but because it pleases me.” To which he replied, “Then you should make it a quarter and thoroughly enjoy yourself! That is not charity; though, that does somewhat depict the definition we have assigned to that term.  Carefully read the first seven verses of the thirteenth chapter of 1 Corinthians.  Now, if we as believers are going to effectively reach people, and be the representatives that Christ requires us to be, we must make this passage our anthem.  “It profiteth me nothing.” Wow, what a powerful statement!  This is Christian living in a nutshell.  How are we doing in this area, believers?  So much could be said about this passage, but this passage does not require much explanation.  It does, however, demand our attention and our surrender.

I Corinthians 13:1-7:
1Co 13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3  And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co 13:4  Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5  Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6  Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7  Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment