Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Thoughtful Thursday: Word of the Year





Have you ever claimed a word or a phrase as your anthem for a new year?  I started doing this a few years ago.  It began in 2014, when I used the word “PEACE” (Colossians 3:15 “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts”) to help me to remember to quit struggling daily with my anxiety and give it to God.  It was very effective in giving me a focus throughout the year.

In 2015, I used the word “CONSIDER”.  (Haggai 1:5b "Consider your ways.")  
I used it as a reminder to consider God, consider others and consider my ways.

My word for 2016 is “EUCHRISTEO”.  I came across this word in a book I read towards the end of 2015.  Euchristeo is a Greek word meaning “giving thanks”.  The root word is Charis, which means “grace” and also holds its derivative, the Greek word “Chara” which means “joy”.
Grace is such a small, but powerful word.  Webster’s 1828 Dictionary defines it as “Favor; good will; kindness; disposition to oblige another; the free unmerited love and favor of God, the spring and source of all the benefits men receive from him.”
How often do we skip right over the small things?  Those small things that seem to be so insignificant compared to the big picture.  But what if all of those small things actually compromise the big picture and we miss it.  I want to live fully in each moment and appreciate everything that is encompassed in each moment.  In 2016, I hope to consider the gifts and grace that God has bestowed upon me in every situation and give Him thanks for these.  Recognizing these moments, I believe, will produce joy and praise throughout the year.

Do you have a word for this year?  Would love for you to share it!


No comments:

Post a Comment