Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2015

Family Friday: Bible vs Cell Phone




Psalms 119:97 “O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.”

I just love this verse!  I can feel David’s heart when he is saying this.  He truly LOVED the Word of God.  He read it, he meditated on it, he cherished it.  Now, I know that there wasn’t near the technology then as there is now, but I wonder what his “cell phone” was.  I wonder if there was something that came along that could’ve possibly distracted him from God’s Word.  I wonder if he picked up his “cell phone” in the morning before he picked up the Word.  I wonder if he talked to his friends about what was new with his “cell phone” before he shared with them what new truth he had found in the Word.  I wonder if he became more concerned about the whereabouts and care of his “cell phone” than he did about the Word.   This is purely hypothetical, but absolutely possible.  David was a man after God’s own heart, but he was an imperfect human just like the rest of us.

I would imagine that if you asked the average Christian if they had to choose between the Bible or their cell phone (or anything that could be a distraction), that they would absolutely choose the Bible.  We know that the Bible is God’s Word.  It is God’s love letter to us, His people.  My question is, how often do we subconsciously choose our “cell phone” over our Bible?  I wonder if we pick up our “cell phone” in the morning before we pick up the Word.  I wonder if we talk to our friends about what is new with our “cell phone” before we share with them what new truth we found in the Word.  I wonder if we become more concerned about the whereabouts and care of our “cell phone” than we do about the Word.

Please don’t misunderstand me.  Technology is great in so many aspects.  Cell phones have become essentials in our day-to-day lives.  I’m just simply proposing that we are making sure that the Word of God doesn’t take second place to our “cell phone”.

I challenge you (and myself) to take a day and carry your Bible around with you and your “cell phone”.   Every time that you have a few minutes where you would normally spend time on your “cell phone”, pick up your Bible instead.   Treat your Bible with the same care and priority that you show your “cell phone”.  Use it to get your “latest news”, to get your “battery charged” and to “stay connected”.  See if it doesn’t change your day!   




No comments:

Post a Comment