Text: Psalm 107:17-21
Because of their “transgression” (sin of rebellion) This term is singular.
- I believe the bad choice these fools made was they did not enter the city of habitation!
- They were at one time Wanderers and now they are fools!
- “Fool” is how God refers those who have been made aware of the truth and still utterly rejected it.
· They may have reacted in the very same way as the other wanderers had and been offered deliverance by God, but are now living a cautionary tale of why God’ way is always perfect!
“iniquities” (sins of perversion)
- A fool’s denial of truth in no way alters his accountability to God!
Proverbs 10:23 It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.
- Maybe God will punish me … maybe He won’t? (it’s like a game)
Proverbs 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes:
- Being a fool does not indicate that you are incapable of processing thought or formulating a plan for your life.
- IT DOES, however, declare that you are living outside of the will of God which is FOOLISH!! = guaranteed failure!!
- Proverbs 18:2 A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself. Fools follow their hearts NOT wisdom!!
Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
· Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
· Proverbs 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
- They have no desire to be informed of facts only to be praised for the decisions they make, no matter how awful those choices are!
Proverbs 12:16 A fool’s wrath is presently known:
Job 5:2 For wrath killeth the foolish man, and envy slayeth the silly one.
§ A believer cannot be a fool, but he can be a foolish man.
Proverbs 15:5 A fool despiseth his father’s instruction:
they are “afflicted” (Affected with continued or often repeated pain, either of body or mind; suffering grief or distress, of any kind)
“Their soul abhorreth all manner of meat”
- They find no satisfaction in sin – nothing will fill the void in their souls
- They find that there is pleasure in sin, but it is very temporary and ever insufficient!
- They convince themselves that there is NO HOPE or ANSWERS!
- God is stripping them of their foolish reasoning and pride!
“they draw near unto the gates of death”
- Their transgression and iniquities have brought them to the gates of hell, and now they must make a choice!
- A fool only understands life and death, have and have not
§ There is no retirement plan or consideration for others
§ There is eternal perspective or concern
“Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble”
[Saveth]: (Present tense // third person “perpetual”) Preserved from evil; injury or destruction; kept frugally; prevented; spared; taken in time
[Distresses]: Extreme pain; anguish of body or mind; as, to suffer great distress from the gout, or from the loss of near friends. Affliction; calamity; misery.
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly. (Vicious Cycle)
Jeremiah 5:21 Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not:
“He sent his word and healed them”
- Healed & Delivered them (Past tense // definite)
§ It heals them because their ailment is sin and foolishness
§ Everything we have done in our lives is not instantly and miraculously made perfect because we finally make the wise choice of responding to Truth
§ Some things will be almost instant, while others the process of healing will begin when changes are made in obedience and faith
[Destructions]: Death; murder; slaughter; massacre.
- This term is plural because the pronoun “them” is plural
- This also shows us that he is not referring to the collective destruction of eternal hell (Matt 7:13); because, then the term would have remained singular. = (physical death not spiritual or eternal death)