Text: Psalm 107:22-31
God is Omniscient! God is Righteous!
He is masterfully directing and orchestrating our lives to bring us into a place of blessing and joy.
Isaiah 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
We are not able to comprehend all the ways or events God deems necessary to bring about good in our lives!
That is where faith comes in!
· We must believe, know, and proclaim: GOD IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME!
· We have the misconception that “We are good, and God is like us at times”
We must TRUST the God in whom our salvation is secure with this life also.
- It was NOT God’s first choice to use hardship in our lives!
- Tragedy, Trials, Pain, Horrible Violence: these are all the result of sin!
· the drastic measures that God will at times find necessary should not drive us from Him, but rather proclaim the extreme devastation of Hell
· There are few bad events. There are usually good outcomes verse bad outcomes.
107:8/15/21/31 Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
107:22. Here he begins this portion with a conjunction that forms his conclusion…“And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving”
- These are the people who are keeping the law! (Romans 12:1-2)
· They pray, read the Bible, attend church, etc.
§ Change and development are not the same!! (none perfect)
“and declare His works with rejoicing”
- These people are not “Wonderers” = the storms they have endured have strengthened their faith, not sent them searching for a better alternative that God. (Christian life is difficult)
- These people are not “Rebels” = they have not rejected God because they disagree with His methods of molding them. (against your will)
- These people are not “Fools” = they recognize God’s hand at work in their lives even though it is troublesome and difficult.(You are not God)
We are never capable without His strength.
- You cannot be a Christian without Christ
Independent, un-surrendered believers are killing their families and churches
107:23. These people must leave the “City of Habitation” to find work: this is the majority of believers. They are talented, experienced, possibly wealthy. The great waters are mentioned to remind us of the opportunity and the risks that exist, and that God controls the environment.
107:24. We who recognize His ability – His creation’s beauty & His unlimited power are most foolish to ignore it’s profound effect in our lives!
107:25-26. When we lose control & and cannot even tell which way is up. Each of us can think of times in our lives just like that! HE IS IN COMPLETE CONTROL! In fact, there will be times when just walking will become a challenge. We will face times in our lives that getting out of bed and moving forward physically, emotionally, and/or spiritually is a great victory!
107:27. “THEN they cry unto the Lord” – Why do we wait until this point? Notice the tense of the verb. This is not a one-time event. Unfortunately, this may become a repetitive instant in our lives.
Wits’ End (Stubborn // Hard headed)
- We are convinced it is a matter of prayer only after God has proven it
[Bringeth]: (Present tense // third person) To cause to come to a point,
“Bringeth them to their desired haven” always having to force them to the end of their strength, power, and intellect before they will call upon HIM!
- God is going to bring you to a place that exceeds your expertise.
- He want us to rely on Him in areas where we are most independent because of gifts, talents, or experience.
“Their desired haven” = he gets them where they were going!!
- He did not change the outcome He simply got the glory for its completion
ILL – “Joshua at Jericho”
- He was one of the two spies that went in the first time
- He had probably spent the last 40 years planning his strategy for victory
- YET, HE LET GOD FORM THE BATTLE PLAN!!
107:28. perpetual: (the tense never changes?)
= We must surrender to the wisdom of the MASTER!
- God will continue this good work until we rebel against Him, or we wise up and depend on Him as we should.
2 Timothy 2:11-13!! He is qualifying us to reign with HIM!
- We have to prove our devotion and loyalty
- We must have His wisdom and strength to survive!
WE ARE NOT THE RULE MAKERS … GOD IS!!
We decide how long it continues… = until we surrender!