Text: Psalm 107:10-16
The Rebel: one that we are all familiar with to some degree
This one, I find, is easier for us to understand God’s perspective!
107:10 Such as sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, being bound in affliction and iron;
“Such as sit in darkness”
The light of truth is not acceptable or appreciated by this group of people. They choose to neglect the instruction they have been given. They have determined to resist the commands of God and go their own way.
- They were led to the “City of habitation” & “By the right way”
“Men loved darkness rather than light.” = men love sin rather than Jesus!
20 “Lest his deeds should be reproved” = put to the proof!
21 “BUT he that doeth truth cometh to the light that his deeds may be manifest”
- Dear friend, Darkness and light could not be more different!
· notice the difference! = It is the behavior and desire!
“In the shadow of death”
- A shadow is cast away from the source of light.
James 1:15 “sin when it is finished bringeth forth death”
- If sin & death stands between us and God we would be in its shadow
Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
“Bound in affliction and iron”
- Sin makes captives of us all when we surrender to it rather than fight against it with the power of God!
- It is not easy to walk away from sinful habits, IS IT? = We Chose them!
107:11 Because they rebelled against the words of God, and contemned the counsel of the most High:
“Because they rebelled…and contemned”
[Rebel]: One who disobeys the King's proclamation; a contemner of the king's laws.
[Contemned]: Despised; scorned; neglected, or rejected with disdain
[Condemned]: Guilty, worthless or forfeited; judged; sentenced to punishment
107:12 Therefore he brought down their heart with labour; they fell down, and there was none to help.
- “He brought down their hearts with labour”
· God is after your heart!!
- “they fell down” I just don’t see why!
· Pride is always the root of rebellion
· Humility is always part of their redemption and repentance
- “There was none to help”
· It is important that we who are in submission to God realize that God is acting according to His Word, and that we do not stand in His way on behalf of a rebel who has reached this point.
· When He is forced to, God will put rebels in a position where they are all alone and He becomes our only option
· To avoid that, we must humble ourselves and choose Him!
107:13-14 Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saved them out of their distresses. He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder.
“Then they cried unto the Lord in their trouble”
- Complete surrender brings complete deliverance!
“he saved them out of their distresses”
- God’s plan is proven successful when a rebel reaches this point
“He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder.”
- It is a complete and marvelous deliverance