Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Lord, Teach us to Pray



Luke 11: 1 – 4 - "Lord, teach us to pray,"

Of all of what our Lord’s disciples saw in Jesus’ great and powerful earthly ministry; this is the one thing they asked the Lord to teach them.  Not teach us to heal the sick, or how to cast out devils, or how we can do miracles, or even teach us to preach and teach the word of God. It was “Lord, teach us to pray.” I believe we should take the example of the best Christians and true followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, who saw Him preach to multitudes and perform definite miracles, and yet they wanted to learn how to pray from the Master.

I. When ye pray
Jesus had definite times He prayed. If we are going to have a successful prayer life, we are going to have to have a definite time we pray everyday.  It is scriptural: [James 4:yet ye have not, because ye ask not.]  There are many different reasons why children of God do not receive regular answers to prayer, but it must be true; the main reason a Believer does not receive is because they do not ask.  Have a definite time to pray; as Jesus did, and instructed His disciple to do the same.

II.Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name
Jesus teaches us, that before we ask our heavenly Father for our needs, and wants; we should take quality time to praise the Lord. Prayer is commanded many times; but we are commanded to praise more times than we are commanded to pray.  When I take quality time to think of God’s greatness, of God’s power, of God’s miracles, or God’s wisdom and love, and tell the dear Lord how I stand in awe of Him, this gives Him the glory He deserves, this makes me obedient to His word, and this increases my faith and confidence in the One I am soon going to ask to meet my needs, or the need of others.  Lift the Lord up for His glory, and for your greater faith.

III. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
Jesus teaches us to put the Lord and His will first, and above ours.  I am not perfect in my understanding, but my Father is. I am not perfect in my knowledge of God’s will, but my Father is.  If I do not agree with My Father’s will for my life, or for the one for whom I am praying; God’s will is better and right. If I do not want God’s will to be performed, I’m better off with the will of He Who is omniscient (all knowing), than however close or “good enough” my will might be.  God has a will, and the best place for me to agree with it, and to get closer to it, is in my prayer life.  This is not the Lord’s Prayer.  As later Jesus teaches us to confess and ask forgiveness for our sins. Jesus did not one time ever need to do so.  But Jesus did pray: “not My will but Thy will be done”.

IV. Give us day by day our daily bread.
Now, ask for your needs. For what do you have need?  Ask for it.  Again, ye have not because ye ask not.  Phil. 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."  The Lord is very plain here.  We will probably start with our most pressing need, the ones we do not have to be reminded or prompted to ask.  But we should also pray for that which we know is His will, and even His command for us to have, or “to be”.  Power, wisdom, and love.  Do you have need of victory?  Do you have need of daily bread?  Do you have need of healing?  Ask the Lord to give these to you. Ask in faith. Matthew 11:24 "Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them."

V. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us.
We’ve sinned against God. We know this and the Lord knows this.  Though our relationship as a child will never change since the new birth, our fellowship will if we regard iniquity, or do not confess and forsake our sins. Take time to search your heart and mind and your actions of the previous 24 hours, and confess to God your sins.  If we have taken time to praise Him, our sins will not be hard to remember and recognize.
In the same teaching, our Lord tells us we must also forgive anyone who has wronged us.Unforgiveness is a sin in itself, and will keep the Lord from hearing our requests.

VI .5 And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves;.

6  For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?

7  And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee.

8  I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
Two things:  Pray for the power of the Holy Spirit, and pray for all of your needs with importunity.  Just pray without ceasing.  Keep on praying for that lost soul, for that victory you need.  God wants to hear from you, and wants to spend time with you.  Just keep on praying.
9  And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

10  For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment