Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2015

Family Friday: Suffering the Right Way





Jesus showed us the right way to respond to suffering. In your hard circumstance or tragedy or heartbreaking disappointment, you can learn to respond as Jesus did. As you study God’s Word, follow His example as God guides you by His Holy Spirit in each situation you encounter. Through your suffering, you can understand more about your Savior.

Ask yourself: how can God use this situation to produce humility in me?

God hates pride. (See Proverbs 6:16–17.) On the other hand, “by humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honor, and life” (Proverbs 22:4). Therefore, when you suffer you should look for ways to learn humility“He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?” (Micah 6:8).
Ask yourself: what character qualities can God develop in me through this situation?
Your heavenly Father wants you “to be conformed to the image of his Son” (Romans 8:29). As the Lord gives you grace to respond to each circumstance like Jesus would respond, you will  develop godly character. The Bible tells us that even the Son of God learned obedience through what He suffered. (See Hebrews 5:8.)
Carefully review the list of character qualities as you ask yourself, Which ones could be developed in my life as I respond correctly to this circumstance?
For example:
·        Could I learn patience as a result of this circumstance?
·         What can this situation teach me about the need for alertness?
·         How can I learn obedience as a result of this situation?
·         Could this suffering motivate me to express gratefulness for things I’ve previously taken for granted?
·         Can I develop more compassion for others because of this experience?

I have prayed many times for the Lord to help me learn my lesson the first time through the trial. If we don’t learn the lesson God has for us, then we may have to repeat it time and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment