Search This Blog

Monday, May 4, 2015

Monday's Message: Lawful not Expedient



Lawful not Expedient:
Just because man has allowed certain practices to become lawful does not in any way change God’s position on the subject.  For example:  Abortion, drinking, fornication, or adultery just to name a few!  The Bible and the God of the Bible are not what you might call “popular” in this world; however, that does not, in any way, change the truth.  We would have to search long and hard to find a time in History when obeying God was popular, and I don’t believe that we would ever discover such a time.  Paul makes an interesting statement in this verse, “All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient.”  There are many things that are legal civically and scripturally yet they remain inexpedient for our relationship with God.

May I suggest that we elevate the manner in which we make decisions above, “What is the least I am required to do?” and begin to make decisions based on a desire to do what will be most pleasing to the Lord.  Perhaps, before we speak, act, or decide we should determine, will I honor God if I proceed?  Maybe we should put it this way, “Will this expedite my relationship with God?” 

I Corinthians 6:12: All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

No comments:

Post a Comment