Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Teen Tuesday: What is Faith?


What is Faith?
Bro Jason Watford
The Bible teaches in Hebrews 11:1“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” 
For years as a child, teenager, and even a four year Bible college student, I honestly wondered what that verse meant and what exactly faith is.  Don’t get me wrong, I heard many sermons on it, heard many illustrations about it, and had many great men sit down and try to explain it to me but I never really “got it” until one day in my own personal life I was forced to come hand and hand with this word faith. I personally believe that every Christian should and will have to make a decision in their life that they will have to step out in “faith” and just believe and trust God.  Allow me to take a few paragraphs and try to personally explain what faith is and how to “step out in faith” based on Hebrews 11:8-10.

September 2012 would probably have been the hardest attack that the devil had ever put on my family and I.  We were doing quite well, and seemingly the Lord was prospering us. We were financially doing well.  I was leading an adult Sunday school class, over a Bible College, working on staff at a good church, when I knew in my heart that God wanted more from me.  I KNEW that the Lord wanted me to Pastor and it was burning inside of me. It is really hard to explain how a person knows God’s calling but I couldn’t sleep, I just wanted to love people and pastor very badly. Because of this desire, my family began looking for a church to pastor.  We left the church where we were and went to candidate for a church that I just knew HAD to be God’s will. To make a long story short, I lost the vote by one person. We had sold our house, had no job, nowhere to go, and my wife was expecting. The night we lost the vote by one person, I read Hebrews 11:8-10 and I noticed what Abraham did. These verses changed the way my wife and I looked at our situation and changed our outlook.

Hebrews 11:8-10 “By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place, which he should after receive for an inheritance, OBEYED; and he WENT OUT, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacle with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise. For he LOOKED for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.”

The formula for faith is simple. Obey. Move. Look. When God tells you to do something the first step is obedience. Obedience is faith. You cannot have faith without obedience. It’s impossible. Next, is to move and do what God told you to do. Abraham “went out” and left his country not knowing where he was going. I’m sure he was scared, but his obedience led to faith and his moving led to even more faith. I do not know what college you are to go to; however, if God told you to go to Bible college then you should obey, move and then look. Look for God to come through. Has God ever really let you down? I now pastor some wonderful people in Seven Springs, NC. When my family moved here, there were 30 people and last Sunday we had over 200 by the grace of God! God knows what He is doing and knows where to put His children. Have faith in God by obeying Him, making any moves necessary to follow Him, and looking for Him to come through as He always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment